UW Campus, Oct. 2004

The University of Washington was founded in 1861 as the Territorial University of Washington, in just one building, and with initially just one professor who taught Latin, Greek, English, history, algebra, and physiology. In 1889 Washington became a state, and in 1895 classes started in Denny Hall, the original building of the present campus. In 1909 the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition took place in Seattle, partly with the intent of developing the campus. UW now enrolls almost 40,000 students on the Seattle campus alone, which comprises 218 buildings on 693 acres.

Click on the small pictures to see larger ones.

A totem pole just outside the Burke Musuem of Natural History.
An allée of trees down Memorial Way.
Gardener's Outlook, with a wonderful view over Lake Washington.
Entrance to one of the buildings on the Quad.
Cherry trees in Fall color on the Quad.
Cherry foliage backlit against the buildings of the Quad.
"Red Square", or the Central Plaza, loosely patterned after Sienna in Italy. The "Campanile" on the right is actually part of the ventilation system for the garage underneath. The sculpture in the foreground is Barnett Newman's "Broken Obelisk". In the distance is a statue of George Washington.
The reading room of the Suzzalo Library, built in 1926 in a wonderful "Collegiate Gothic" style.
A view down the "Rainier Vista" to Drumheller Fountain, a remnant of the Alaska-Yukon-Pacific Exposition. On a clear day one is supposed to get a great view of the Mountain.
A closer view of the fountain, which arises in "Frosh Pond", where freshman are dunked, apparently.
One could almost be in England... The rose garden is another remnant of the Exposition.
The Sylvan Grove Theatre. The four hand-fluted cedar columns came from the original University building.

These pictures were taken with a Canon G2 digital camera. Images were cropped, balanced, etc. with Adobe Photoshop Elements.

schooler@alum.mit.edu