Hanna House, June 2003

Click on the small pictures to see larger ones.

Hanna House

Glessner House

The Hanna House was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1936, for Stanford Professor Paul Hanna and his wife Jean. They lived there with their three children, added the Workshop in 1950, and in 1957 had the house modified following Wright's plans after the three children left. In 1975 they gave the house to Stanford, and it became the Provost's residence. The house was badly damaged in the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, but has now been almost completely restored, re-opening in 1999.

This was Wright's first building in the San Francisco area, and his first design on a hexagonal grid, hence the house's nickname of the Honeycomb House. It is constructed of redwood boards and San Jose brick, on a concrete slab floor. The site is a beautiful hillside on the Stanford campus, with magnificent old live oaks around which the house is carefully placed.

Approaching the house:
The front facade, showing the sliding glass doors very reminiscent of Japanese Shoji screens. A closer look at the exterior of the Living Room.
Around the side and back, showing the waterfall and Workshop up the hill. Notice how the structural grid is expressed in the concrete terrace.
The back facade, showing one of the massive chimneys. The main entrance, hidden around the other side as usual.
Continuing around to the Living Room facade, showing some of the surrounding landscape.
A detail of the projecting roof. In some areas, the cutouts are glassed in to protect from rain.

These pictures were taken with a Canon G2 digital camera. Images were cropped, balanced, etc. with Adobe Photoshop Elements.

schooler@alum.mit.edu